Town of Saltillo
Main Street • Saltillo, TN • (800) 552-3866
Visit Saltillo, an early river town with homes dating from the
1840s. Styles of architecture range from Greek Revival and
Italianate influences to country farmhouses. Two cemeteries and a
church pre-date the Civil War.
Saltillo Points of Interest
Marina - Marina store,
camping sites, boat slips to 50’. (731) 687-7353
House - Riverview
Circle. Mr. Davis purchased this property in 1919. Davis family still
in residence, large magnolia tree in front yard planted during Civil
War, original house pre-dates this era.
Masonic Lodge - West corner of
Riverview Circle and Main Street. Old Presbyterian Church, over 100
Home - North side of
Main Street between Riverview Circle Decatur Road. Greek Revival
detailing, traditionally Meady White built this home prior to his 1847
Store Buildings - North
side of Main Street, built in 1919.
City Hall - Main Street,
House - Circa 1847.
House with Greek Revival and Italianate influences, features two story
portico with four square columns, inner porch on upper level, pilasters,
corner and paired brackets, external brick chimneys, sidelights and
transoms; interior features include painted wood graining on doors, door
and window facings, mantels, 1847 wallpaper imported from Italy, mantels
with simple shelves and pilasters; very fine decorative paintings on
ceilings of two rooms and stairs by Irish artist John Joseph Christie.
House built by Meady White (1819-1889) by slave labor; White was a
wealthy man with extensive landholdings, instrumental in the settlement
of Saltillo his many enterprises included farming, a stave business,
hardware store and a horseracing track in nearby Decatur County. He was
elected constable of Saltillo in 1852, resigned his position in 1857 to
accept the position of Justice of the Peace and he raised racehorses.
The Meady White House was considered as a filming location for the
post-Civil War Warner Brothers movie “Sommersby” which opened in
theaters February 1993 starring Richard Gere and Jodie Foster. The
Meady White House is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
House - Circa 1906;
Built by Dr. Luther Parker, (1876-1936), a Saltillo country physician,
the house remains in the Parker family.
White Home - Circa 1921;
across from the Parker House. T.J. White raised World Champion
Tennessee Walking Horses and served in the State Legislature, the
southern hospitality of Saltillo was extended to Governor Henry Horton
of Tennessee and his wife when they spent the night in the White home in
the 1930’s. The home remains in the White family today.
Academy Site - Academy
established in the 1870s, present location of Hardin County Bank.
Pitts House - Southside of Main Street, 3rd house from the river. Two
original front rooms were built in the mid 1800s remodeled in 1919,
basic architectural style changed.
Cemetery - West of town,
turn north off Highway 69. Established by Meady White after death of
his first wife in 1846, White had three wives and thirteen children,
second wife and five children who died at an early age are buried with
Meady White at the back of the cemetery, remaining children and spouses
are also buried there.
Church and Cemetery -
Church is featured in Tennessee Governor Lamar Alexander’s book The
Tennesseans, along with the Saltillo Ferry (closed in 2003). The
church is over 100years old and many early settlers of Saltillo are
buried in the cemetery.
Sulphur Well - Junction of Highway 104 and Sulphur Well road, turn west for
approximately 2 miles, turn left on first gravel road. The well is one-fourth
mile down a gravel road. This sulphur will was unearthed by men digging
for salt in 1819 and was the scene of many family gatherings, picnics
and dances years ago.